The Google Summer of Code has reached the end of the week #12 of the coding period which marks the end of the 3 month long GSoC program with my project "Complete porting of Icons API to Drupal 8" successfully implemented as planned.
During this 12 week, I've managed to port the 6 modules from the Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 with some features added and some features removed and following are the modules:
- Icon API: This is the main module which is responsible for providing the interface to all the other modules.
- Fontawesome Bundle: This is an Icon Bundle which is responsible for loading the icons and supporting the core sub-modules. This was not present in the Drupal 7 version of the module.
- Icon Block: This module is responsible for integrating the icons into the Blocks.
- Icon Menu: This module is responsible for integrating the icons into the Menu items.
- Icon Filter: This module is responsible for integrating the icons into the content using the Filters.
- Icon Field: This module is responsible for integrating the icons using the fields.
The following are the new or modified features included in the Drupal 8 version of the module which are not present in the Drupal 7 version:
- Uses plugin system to detect the icon bundles.
- Provides autocomplete search to search from the icons from the specific icon bundle.
- Wrapping the link around the icons in the Icon Field.
All the modules are ported and are tested by my mentor Chiranjeeb Mahanta (chiranjeeb2410) and all are working as planned. The project can be found at the Drupal module page or the Github repository and more information on the final work product can be found at the issue page.